Sunday, February 16, 2014

Tuesday Poem - I know the truth - give up all other truths! by Marina Tsvetayeva


I know the truth – give up all other truths!

I know the truth – give up all other truths!
No need for people anywhere on earth to struggle.
Look – it is evening, look, it is nearly night:
what do you speak of, poets, lovers, generals?

The wind is level now, the earth is wet with dew,
the storm of stars in the sky will turn to quiet.
And soon all of us will sleep under the earth, we
who will never let each other sleep above it.

Translated by Eileen Feinstein


What a life this poet lived! It makes me tremble to read of it. I came upon this
translation in a book called Poems on the Underground, the project in London
which provided refreshment to commuters on the Tube. I have seen other
translations, but I prefer this one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_Tsvetaeva

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! I'm sure it must be even more beautiful in the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a bleak life this poet led, and yet such rich poetry. Thanks for sharing this one. That second stanza just breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete