Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Tuesday Poem - Two Poems by Anne Elvey





Cormorant


A bird


drops to a branch,
overhangs


the slow water. He’s
sculpted


to a shape the eye
measures


to match a name.




A shared path at the edge of Chelsea


Three cyclists pass. A grey heron
feeds. The stilts’ legs are drawn by a child.


I reach the pony club. One paddock
is a wetland. I have no tears. My pulse


is a function of my pace. Slowly the sun
warms the ground. I do not see it dry.



I had the great pleasure to be at Collected Works last week for the
launch of Anne Elvey's book Kin (Five Islands Press). I chose these
lovely fragments to share with you because Anne lives more or less
just around the corner from me and I know the places she is writing
about. And that is the cherry on top of the chopped nuts and cream
on top of the banana split!
http://fiveislandspress.com/category/new

No comments:

Post a Comment